Thursday, December 6, 2012

Words Words Words


I like words. I use words every day, in one way or another.

Words are more than just letters smashed together.  Words have a lot more meaning behind them. That is what I like about words.  One single sentence can be interpreted many different ways, and it is how we do that makes each of us stand out differently.

A fight can happen easily with a set of words, a fight that the person had no intention of starting just because he did not chose his words correctly. But, really was it this person to choose his words, or up the person to listen to it correctly. A simple break down of communication. Communications problems exist and almost no one wants to take the blame.

Communication problems happen in written word, too. Main reason people cannot always read tone. Unless you add CAPS or those little smiley faces or emoticons. I’m not against them at all, I use them often. Still they can be too much, I once received an email that was littered in them.  All because she wanted to be sure, I understood, if she was that worried she should have called me.

I am getting really off topic. Written words, can be interpreted, that’s what we have done in school, most English classes (or language class depending on where you’re from) we have to read a literary work and try to work through what the author was meaning. Will my writing ever get that far? I seriously doubt it. As time goes on though, it may. Any number of our works in 100 years could be looked at.

So do you have a clear meaning on what you want to say? Are saying what you want, or what you think others might want to see? I started thinking about that last night. I enjoy writing, I love to read, but I am still stuck on what was written many years ago. I love Edgar Allan Poe, his works are just amazing, but will we be studying him 50 years, 100 years, 150 years? Or will something more modern replace him? What will middle schoolers and high schoolers be writing their book reports on in 50 years, 100 years, 150 years?

Just my ideas that keep me up at night, sometimes. 

Until next time. HAPPY WRITING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment